Carlos GabaldonDownload Resume
Skilled at bridging business problems with technology solutions, applying the right technical architecture to provide the greatest value with highest quality. Strong attention to details, and excellent oral and presentation skills.
- 20+ years of programming experience with multiple languages
- 3+ years of Go experience
- 10+ years of working on remote teams
Senior Software Engineer @ Doximity - May 2019 - Present
Developing, maintaining, and supporting applications for the largest online social networking service for medical professionals.Technologies: Go, Ruby on Rails, Vue.js, Docker
VP of Engineering @ BoldLeads - March 2017 - April 2019
Responsible for technical, product, project, and people leadership for all of BoldLeads products. Built the BoldLeads engineering team from the ground up. Introduced agile processes to provide predictable & high quality software delivery. Grew a product management culture that drove the software development process. Introduced Git, CI/CD, code reviews, and technical documentation to improve development practices. Grew an engineering team that spanned India & US time zones. Implemented communication & process improvements to effectively manage local & remote development teams.
- Instituted major organizational change by evangelizing, introducing, training, and implementing the Scrum agile methodology.
- Provided day to day agile coaching to development teams, product teams, and senior leadership. Acted as role of Scrum Master and Tech Lead.
- To support long term organizational growth led major product migration from dedicated single server infrastructure to Amazon Web Services (AWS) in less than 18 months. This included master/slave RDS, auto scaling EC2 instances, S3 for static content management, CloudFrount for CD, Nginx for load balancing and caching, CloudWatch & New Relic for monitoring, AWS Web Application Firewall (WAF) for web security, CodeCommit for source control management, and AWS CodePipeline for CI/CD.
Director of Client Delivery & Agile Coach @ moovel NA - March 2016 - March 2017
Provided technical and people leadership for all client delivery projects for moovel NA. Led end-to-end development of services, mobile applications and related systems. Drove software development methodology and tools to support agile development lifecycles.
Analyzed the business domain to document its systems, assessing the business model and the integration with new technologies. Continually improved processes that drove software development efficiency, effectiveness, and throughput. Worked collaboratively with the Technical Operations, Quality Assurance and Product Management teams to define product strategy and roadmap. Ensured the consistent delivery of high quality software.
Identified and implement the changes in methodology, practices and people necessary to achieve desired business results and delivery objectives. Defined, executed and evolved an agile training strategy matched to the needs of the entire organization. Implemented and maintained the metrics necessary to measure, improve and operate agile teams.
- Refinement of existing and creation of new documentation to ensure people and teams have clear understanding of systems and processes.
- Collaboratively defined metrics that helped the team to improve development practices and improve the overall delivery.
- Coached teams and individuals on agile development best practices.
- Aligned people and processes across US and international based teams.
Development Manager @ Barclaycard – July 2012 – November 2015
Worked as remote developer and leader managing a large diverse team of talented developers across US & Europe. Designed and developed a product called Bespoke Offers utilizing Ruby on Rails 3 & 4. Acted as Business Analyst/Scrum Master/Tech Lead for team by gathering requirements, developing use cases, prototypes and test plans. Led the hiring process for bringing in more talented team members.
- Led cross team collaboration to bring Ops, QA, and FED teams to closer alignment with engineering.
- Improved the Bespoke product in the contexts of usability, maintainability, performance, and scalability.
- Led focused work to improve test code coverage, to create smaller more focused tests, increase test speeds, and improve testing standards for database seeding.
- Led organizational effort to adapt hiring processes to fit within the Barclays security policies by developing a Git pull based review (PR) process for coding exercises to screen candidates.
- Managed development organization with 20+ developers.
- Developed processes and practices to enable agile autonomous cross functional teams.
Director of Product Development @ GoDaddy – March 2010 - July 2012
Director of Go Daddy’s 4GH Hosting development teams. Responsible for support and development Hosting infrastructure that provisions accounts for 4 million+ customers. Led Go Daddy's Dedicated/Virtual Dedicated team with the roll-out of product offerings to new overseas data center.
- Identified gaps in the GoDaddy's Hosting organization with being able to react to tactical executive requests and on sustaining the Hosting environment in the areas scalability, availability, and performance. Created and led a new team called Sustained Engineering that addressed the gaps.
- Reduced development support costs by 51%, reduced overall customer support escalations by 71%, reduced production defect count by 73%, and reduced the lead time of tactical quick hit projects.
- Spearheaded efforts to improve core Hosting platform KPIs and drove significant improvements to the quality of the Hosting provisioning system.
- Evangelized the need for improved application level monitoring tools, gained funding for project, and developed infrastructure that monitors 100,000+ ActiveMQ messages daily.
- Managed developement organization with 25+ developers.
Manager, Software Engineering @ Apollo Group Inc. – August 2005 – March 2010
Manager of a cross-functional team responsible for the integration of core Apollo Group systems with the new University of Phoenix community website. Lead Architect for all integration of applications into the community.
Managed a team of engineers across several Apollo Group engineering teams. Led architecture design of large cross-organizational Web Content Management (WCM) system. Provided detailed design specification for large-scale multi-team projects.
Lead Architect and Engineer for all new and existing platform services projects. Lead Developer responsible for the design and development of the new University of Phoenix education Portal.
- Led effort to add instrumentation to core Apollo Group applications to improve efficiency, scalability, and stability.
- Refactored core Apollo Group platform architecture to optimize performance and reliability.
- Mentored team of smart creative software engineers to become top performers within Apollo Group.
Senior Software Engineer @ JDA Software – August 2003 – August 2005
Primary developer on a core product in JDA's Portfolio Registry(TM) solution, which allowed retailers to receive and respond to product and promotion information from suppliers based on subscriptions, managed in the application. Led daily development tasks and performed design/code reviews. Worked closely with business analysts and customers to add the right enhancements to the product.
Managed projects and development teams for JDA retail systems. Led joint initiative with Microsoft to develop retail system using .NET and SQL Server 2005. Created and maintained detailed project plans used to mitigate risks and report status for delivery of successful projects on time and under budget.
- Developed applications that allowed trading partners to synchronize XML or EDIINT formatted documents with the Global Data Synchronization Network (GDSN) following standards implemented by 1SYNC.
Software Engineer Consultant @ Keane Inc – May 2002 – August 2003
Lead Developer on travel booking system designed for American Express Corporate Travel Division. The solution provided a standardized web service interface to the major Global Distribution System (GDS). The booking system saved the American Express Corporate Travel Division time and money by providing a simple user interface, which allowed travel agents and travel related services to book airline tickets, hotel rooms, rental cars, tour packages and associated products.
Designed and developed client user interface components. Led daily development tasks and performed design/code reviews. Developed the core product use cases by working with business analysts and travel agents.
- Developed multi-threaded search system that would query Java SOAP based endpoints to aggregate web fares for airline, car, and hotel specials.
- Evangelized XP development practices within team. Specifically, pair programming, collective ownership, small releases, and unit testing.
Software Engineer @ ICG Consulting – January 2000 – October 2001
Developed Optical Character Recognition (OCR) applications and business processes management (BPM) applications for medium to large companies.
- Led investigation into new technologies such as the preview releases of the Microsoft .NET framework.
- Developed windows and web based applications.
BS, Software Engineering, Graduated Magna Cum Laude with a GPA of 3.8 on a 4.0 scale